Human digestive system
Our digestive system has got a number of functions besides just digesting the food and absorbing the nutrients from it to help other organs function properly. Human digestive system starts from the mouth cavity and ends at the anal canal.
Each and every part of the digestive system is participating to perform a number of important functions in the body. The glands from the oral cavity to lower digestive tract, the lymph nodes and the tract itself, releasing some hormones and enzymes are necessary for proper digestion. We can’t imagine our lives without a properly functioning digestive system.
By bowel movements we basically mean the movement in large intestine. Our large intestine contains most of the unwanted and waste products from the movement and is now moving it out of the digestive tract in the form of stool.
Bowel movements happen as a result of rhythmical movement of haustrations of large intestine and this makes the food move out of the body through anal canal. Thy Myenteric and Meissner’s plexus control the movement and all of these mechanisms result in bowel movements.
Normal Bowel movements
Bowel movements are totally variable from person to person and the term “normal” cannot be generalized and applied to everyone.
Normal bowel movements may be from two to three times a day to once a week and none is considered as abnormal. It depends on a person’s dietary habits, lifestyle and many other factors.
Usually, it is considered as the routine by which one is comfortable is the normal bowel movement.
Bowel sounds are produced when the food is pushed through the large intestines. So, it is very much possible that you hear bowel sounds quite often. Normal frequency of bowel sounds is also variable. Usually, bowel sounds are audible every two to three minutes. But they can be more or less.
Decreased bowel sounds are sign of constipation especially in a post-surgical patient. Bowel obstruction and perforation is especially suspected and special attention is given after surgery.
Bowel Movement Tracker
- A bowel movement tracker is used for the purpose of knowing the difference between normal and abnormal movements and frequency.
- Once the normal bowel movements about a patient have been established, the abnormal routine can be very easily ruled out and treated promptly.
- In the tracker, we have to fill the date in the first column. Movement tracker has to be filled every day to get a better idea of bowel movements.
- The next column has to be filled if the patient/person has had any bowel movement or not.
- The number of bowel movements is noted every day because this is the only way to tell what the normal frequency in that person is.
- Nature of stool is also mentioned in the case of regular bowel movement as well as in case of constipation. The color, consistency and associated symptoms like pain bleeding, etc. are all mentioned.
- It is also important to mention about the treatment option in case of constipation or diarrhea faced by the patient.