Pain log is a term referred to as pain logarithm. It is designed specifically for the grading of pain. A pain log is very useful to assess the nature and frequency of pain.
Pain as the name indicates refers to the term specific for a particular feeling or sensation that is unpleasant and teasing. Pain is such a sort of feeling that remains remembered in one subconscious. Pain is also the major symptoms or starting complaint of most of the underlying illnesses. Proper history to assess the nature, frequency, duration, and intensity of pain is very crucial for proper diagnosis and treatment of the underlying illnesses.
Proper history and understanding of pain are crucial as described earlier, so to make good care of the knowledge of all the basics of pain certain tools designed to make a better record of pain. In some cases, data regarding pain is also crucial to assess disease progression.
The basic idea is being discussed earlier it is now pertinent to describe what this pain log consists of. The pain log has been designed and modified by different consultants in different aspect s of time. It cannot be said that the pain log is not a specific document that is being uniformly utilized. It is case-to-case specific rather than being generalized.
Regarding the pain log perspective of this article will keep stick to the basics and will discuss basic information only.
Pain log or logarithm mostly contain information specific to the following points;
- Pain type: Either it will be continuous, throbbing, vibratory, movement-based, migratory, or cluster.
- Date and time: Either pain is more in the daytime or in the night. Date and time specificity aids to make diagnoses of certain common as well as key illnesses.
- Duration or frequency: Either it was just a pinch or remain continuously for some time. If taking intervals then how many episodes occurring in 24hrs. This information is also key to diagnose retain illnesses like GERD, Gall stones, and others.
- Impact on daily life: Either it is tolerable or is severe that it limits or halt daily life activities. It aids in the decision making of treatment. This aspect deals with the severity of pain in either word.
- Relieving or aggravating factors: It deals with certain actions that cause initiation of pain as well as certain remedial actions dealing with the relieving of the pain. Example of these like abdominal pain in gastric ulcer will be initiated or become severe if some sort of spicy food ingested. Another example is muscular pain which can be relieved by halting the movement of that particular joint involving that particular muscles.
- Treatment: This aspect deals with the fact that how pain at that particular moment was settled specifically to that what sort of treatment taken to relieve it. It was either settled with some sort of one tablet or repeated doses of that tablet or with the help of an injection.
These are just a few examples of information particulars involved in the pain log commonly, these can be raised or reduced depending upon the need. It is designed for one week commonly. Doctors usually compare the progression and effectiveness of treatment by analyzing the grading and information entered in this document.