When a chronic illness strikes a person, he goes through a series of medication and management steps. All the management of his disease depends upon the stage at which the disease is diagnosed. Even if chronic illnesses are diagnosed well in time, it always needs constant monitoring by the attending doctor to make sure that patient is getting the right treatment at right time.
Many a time during the treatment of the patient of a chronic illness or during the hospital stay, some medications are discontinued. Sometimes, some medications are discontinued from the hospital as per instructions of the drug regulatory authority. It is mandatory to keep a record for both the health of the patients as well as legal purposes.
Discontinued medication tracker for a patient
We will first discuss the discontinued medication tracker for an admitted patient. As we have talked previously, such kind of trackers is always useful if the patient is admitted in the hospital or if he or she has a chronic illness. In both cases, hospital staff keeps a record so that patient progress and response to the medications can be noted and better decisions can be made in the best interests of the patient’s health.
- So, in a tracker like this, it is so important that the identity of the patient is maintained on each and every document. The patient’s name, age, gender, and any hospital medical record number is a must on each and every document.
- Then we have to mention the diagnosis of the patient. This is an important thing to do because this single word is going to justify why the medications are being changed. The diagnosis makes the foundation of good patient care in terms of documentation.
- The next couple of columns is designated for the name of drugs with their generic names. We need to make sure we are writing the correct salt name.
- Concentration and doses of the drugs are also a mandatory part of the medical forms concerned with medications.
- In the immediate next column, we need to mention the effects, side effects, and vitals of the patient after the drug was discontinued. This is an extremely important step as this determines what step has to be taken next. It also gives information about the reasons for discontinuing certain medications.
- The signature of the doctor who prescribed and then discontinued the medication is also an important part of the discontinued medication tracker.
Discontinued medication tracker in the hospital
Some drugs get discontinued from the market as per orders of the drug regulatory authority of the country. The decision is based upon the year’s long research and data analysis from real-life patients. The decision is then made to withdraw the drug and all the hospitals are bound to follow the order. For the record, these drugs are still maintained in the record to make sure everyone in the hospital is informed and reminded of the discontinued drugs with their reasons.