In a medical emergency, first aid holds the most important place. It reduces the negative impact of emergency and patient’s recovery becomes more possible.
What is first aid?
First aid is the preliminary treatment provided to a patient suffering from an acute illness or injury. First aid is the care and treatment provided to the affected to preserve life and minimize the complications of the injuries he suffered. It is also aimed to ensure a better and quick recovery of the patient.
History of first aid
History of first aid treatment is quite ancient. In ancient times when the war was imminent most of the time and people had to go through the painful and dreadful situation for survival. During the war, many soldiers were killed and many were left injured. Their bandaging and cleaning of the wound were done as first aid and it is dated back to hundreds of years before Christ. Roman army was the first army to have a proper first aid crew with them to assist and help them in cases of injuries and causalities. Since then, first aid treatment has really evolved to a great level and now prompt treatment provided to patients in time has saved many lives around the globe.
Some examples of first aid
First aid is provided to many other acute emergencies which do not necessarily involve injuries and wounds. Some examples of first aid treatments are as follows.
- First aid provided during injury is the most common form in which wound is cleaned and closed. Bandaging is done and the patient is then immediately shifted to tertiary care. It also involves bone fractures and suturing of open wounds sometimes.
- Oxygen first aid is provided for patients with low oxygen saturation. Fire, building breakdown or any other form of emergency may result in suffocation and hypoxia of people and they may need immediate oxygen supply.
- Hyperbaric first aid is the one for underwater emergencies. Sea divers drowning cases are often seen and professional first aid providers are required in such a situation.
- CPR is one of the most commonly required and performed first aid to the patients undergoing shock.
- Other situations which need first aid are cardiac arrest, diabetic ketoacidosis, status asthmatics, and many others.
First aid treatment form
- During or after the provision of first aid, a form is also filled which is called as first aid treatment form. In a first aid treatment form, the incident is reported in detail along with complete details of the patient and the injury or emergency. The site of injury and the extent of the injury has to be mentioned in details.
- Brief medical history of the injured patient is also mentioned if possible. First aid providers are trained enough to gather as much information as they can while giving the aid and they have to write it in the form.
- Treatment provided is also mentioned in details as the patient is then referred to the better health facility where treatment form is sent along with the patient. The doctors who receive the form find it easy to know the problem and treatment is continued without hassle or break.