Weight loss surgery is also called bariatric surgery. Weight loss surgery is done in patients with severe obesity who are unable to perform their routine tasks even on a personal level. Bariatric surgeries are basically referred to as a number of surgeries in which the stomach of an obese person is reduced which helps them in reducing weight quickly.
Uses of weight loss or bariatric surgeries
Following are the major uses of bariatric surgeries
- Weight loss is the most common and widespread reason for conducting bariatric surgeries. It has been proved with deep research and studies that weight loss surgeries have always been able to reduce a commendable amount of weight in the form of fats from morbidly obese people. Weight loss is the first and foremost medical use of bariatric or weight loss surgeries.
- As a result of decreased appetite and reduced weight, the morbidity and mortality of obese patients have been cured to a really noticeable level. People who have undergone bariatric surgery have been observed to have a better quality of life because they are able to enjoy their routine life and able to perform their daily activities. They have been shown to have a greatly reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases and other medical disorders like diabetes mellitus.
- Those couples who have been facing infertility and have been trying to conceive for a long but are failing to do so because of their increased weight can benefit from the weight loss surgery. Clinical trials have shown that morbidly obese people did conceive after bariatric surgeries. So we can say that weight loss surgery does take an active part in the treatment of infertility or subfertility in obese patients.
- The overall effect of all of the above benefits of weight loss surgeries is a better mind, a healthy body, and a confident personality. Some people in depression because of increased weight have been witnessed to come out of their mental and psychological misery after they got rid of all the extra pounds of fats from their bodies from a weight loss journey.
Diet after a weight loss surgery
Apart from the usual post-operative care of the patient undergoing bariatric surgery, diet is the most important thing that has to be kept in mind. People after weight loss surgery need to be very careful about their diet.
- For a shorter period of time just after the bariatric surgery, patients are put on a liquid diet only. They are not allowed to take any solid forms of food because their stomach especially and intestines generally need a sufficient amount of time to function back properly.
- After a couple of weeks, the patient is allowed to have pureed food. Regular food is still not allowed because the extra burden on the gastrointestinal tract is not at all meant.
- Regular food is then allowed after a couple of more weeks but it should be taken in small meals.
- If you intend to dine out you must keep a weight loss surgery card issued from the hospital, which says that you are allowed to take smaller meals than usual for you have undergone bariatric surgery.