Medication is definitely one of the most sensitive things to do in the healthcare system. We as healthcare providers have a big responsibility on our shoulders in a way that we are exposing these people to the drugs that can be potentially harmful in case a little negligence prevails.
People, on the other hand, are also responsible to make sure that they are properly addressed and attended by the healthcare providers because these people are on the receiving end of the medication and drugs.
As a matter of fact, it is the prime duty of the healthcare providers like doctors and nurses that they always keep a clean and organized record of the medication of each and every patient that comes into any healthcare facility. They need to be vigilant while they are administering any drug to the patient through any route prescribed.
Similarly, doctors need to be extra vigilant when they are prescribing the drugs and giving their orders about the medication. There is zero chance for irresponsibility and absolutely no chance for the negligence in the field of medicine.
Medications for multiple people
It is a common practice that in an inpatient department of the hospital, many patients are admitted for a day or two to get proper treatment of their ailments. Naturally, nurses have to administer medicines to more than one people and a log has to be maintained for them.
Most of the times, a single medication log sheet is used for one patient. This means that each patient has a separate medication log sheet which is attached in his file. Keeping one sheet for one patient is a safer method for the medication log because this way doesn’t let the confusion between patients of the same names.
Medication log for multiple people
- But, in some circumstances, a single medication log is used for multiple patients. The practical uses of such kind of medication log sheets are a bit different from the separate sheets for the patients.
- This helps in the management of drugs or dispense of a drug in a better way. We can get the information of all the patients admitted in one ward. This method is also used for gathering information of the patients on a single drug.
- An Excel worksheet is used in such kinds of medication logs. These sheets consist of information about one patient in one sheet and we can switch to another patient while staying on the same page.
- In a medication log for multiple patients, all the information about the patient is mentioned in a way similar to any medication log. Chief diagnosis of the patient is mentioned on the top and then the name of the drug, its proper dosage, and frequency is mentioned in each column.
- For going on to the next patient, we simply select the next patient and medication log of the second patient appears which we can update according to the prescriptions and orders passed by the primary physician.